Sunday 1 August 2010

Invictus

Last week I a saw movie named Invictus. So the first question comes is whats so great about it, I have already seen lots of movies but never wrote anything about them.

To start with....this movie is little different. It start with Nelson Mandela release from prison and ends with Rugby match. Like usual motivational sport movie, this South African Rugby team roses from Ash and proved their mantle. This movie appears more like documentary rather than any commercial one, because it depicts the real story of Nelson Mandela and his great vision to reduce the gap between white and black color people. Through rugby game Nelson wants to unite both races people to accomplish common goal.

In movie, Mandela repeatedly recite following two lines to keep himself motivated and also rugby team captain [and obviously me :) ]:

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


Invictus, meaning Unconquerable/Undefeated in Latin, is a poem by British poet William Ernest Henley. The poem was written while Henley was in the hospital being treated for Bone tuberculosis. He was being told worst of prognosis, that his foot would have to be amputated. This poem comes as a statement of what is important in the face of the horrors of life. Henley survived that medical crisis and led normal and active life until his death.





Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


Refer following two links to know more about Poem and Movie:

Invictus [Poem]

Invictus [Movie]

No comments: